- What are your rates? My rate is $200/month for half hour lessons for kids under 7 and $240/month for 45 minute lessons for kids over 7. Payment is due at the first of each month and tuition is billed on a monthly basis.
- At what age can children begin piano lessons? I will accept students as young as five years old. For young children, the piano is an amazing tool for discovery in their relatively new world. Most students will have little or no experience with the piano, but all levels are accepted.
- Do you teach adults in addition to kids? Yes! I accept adult students with any level of experience and offer 45 minute lessons, $275/month. Adults are not required to participate in the end of the year recital.
- How long should lessons be? I suggest that students take 30-minute lessons in the beginning. For more experienced students, I recommend 45-minute lessons.
- How often should lessons occur? Lessons should occur once a week to ensure retention and development.
- How are lessons structured? When children know what to expect, they can focus more clearly and attend to each activity more easily. With each lesson, we will practice listening, technique, finger games, piano scales and our weekly piece of music. The lesson will have a rhythm, and the child will come to “play in tune” with that rhythm.
- What involvement should the parent expect? I assume that most of my students will have a piano at home on which to practice. If not, I would be happy to assist you in locating either a keyboard or piano to rent or purchase. Parents are requested to practice with their students at least twice per week. I will assign a practice piece and theory worksheets, and will provide the student with a “practice notebook” for recording assignments. A basic comprehension of theory and ability to read music is preferred.